Monday, February 17, 2003

Hoi An - Hue

Moved up the coast to Hue, today. On the way we stopped several times to let the engine cool, and once to see the Marble Mountains where the VC holed-up in the cave system during the war.


In Hue, a cyclo-driver had the misfortune of lugging yours-truly around town. You see, consulting my bland but informative Lonely Planet, I'd noticed an unusual guest-house on the other side of the river from all the rest and decided that was where I was going to stay.

So, on the creaking cyclo, pedalled by a groaning octogenarian, I left the bustling heart of the town and crossed the river into the old city. It must've taken twenty minutes of solid riding. It was a world of tranquillity; gentle breezes, swaying trees and barely a soul in the hotel.

I didn't like it.

I leafed through the guidebook and pointed at a another place that sounded okay. Off the old man huffed, heaving my lardy frame and overpacked rucksack along the potholed roads again. Imagine my embarrasment when we pulled to a stop not fifty yards from where I'd hailed the cyclo in the first place! I gave him a big tip and sheepishly went into the hotel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home