Tuesday, February 18, 2003

Nuoc Leo

I can't believe how few photos I took of the food I ate while I was away. Guess I was too hungry and the food too appetising to waste an extra five seconds taking a pic!

However, one meal I'll never forget was the chicken satay wrapped in rice paper and accompanied by a peanut sauce (nuoc leo) I ate. Boy, was that a messy affair. Real pig at the trough time! Here's the recipe for the sauce.

Be careful, this is seriously scrummy!

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large clove garlic, peeled and minced
1 or more bird's eye or Thai chilies,
seeded and minced
3 ounces unsalted roasted peanuts,
1 tablespoon chopped, the rest finely ground
(but not butter)
1 cup chicken stock
1/3 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon sugar


1. Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir-fry the garlic and chilies until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the ground peanuts and stir until they give up some of their natural oil, about 5 minutes more.

2. Add the chicken stock, coconut milk, hoisin sauce, fish sauce, and sugar, and bring just to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the oil from the peanuts starts surfacing, about 15 minutes. Transfer sauce to a heatproof serving bowl, garnish with chopped peanuts, and serve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home